Life on Mars

I’ve been watching Carl Sagan’s Cosmos: A Personal Voyage on cable. I haven’t watched it in over 20 years.

http://www.carlsagan.com/

Of course Sagan has long since passed away, a real loss for us all, and fair to say back into being a part of the universe he loved. Ashes to ashes; as we are, as they say, all made of stars.

I did a sketch in an old notebook in the 90’s, right after Sagan died in 1996, and planned to develop it one day. So, thanks to Dr Carl Sagan’s inspiration, here it is.
























Hopefully, one day I’ll see something like it in my own lifetime.

It’s been a long time since I’ve considered myself a spiritual person but this show is amazing; truly awe inspiring when you realize what a tiny little rock we live on, and how vast space is and how science really is more than a dry subject at school; it’s us and everything we see, know and even think to a degree.

The show’s production values have really dated, I was blown away to learn it was made in 1980. But somehow that’s part of its charm. This is also thanks to Carl Sagan’s remarkable mind and his laconic ability to bring the wonder of Astronomy to the layman. Even in the eighties I can recall doing my Carl Sagan impression and cracking my mate Nick up with it; he was the only other kid at school who seemed to also watch the show.




Original Sketch

No comments: